Login | Users Online: 865  
Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size   
Home | About us | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Submit article | Instructions | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact us
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2011  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 7-11

Coronary artery disease in patients aged 35 or less - A different beast?


1 Department of Cardiology, Chest Diseases Hospital, Ministry of Health, Kuwait
2 Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait

Correspondence Address:
T Christus
Interventional Cardiologist, Chest Diseases Hospital, P.O.BOX - 4082, Safat, 13041
Kuwait
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1995-705X.81550

Rights and Permissions

Aim: To assess the extent and severity of coronary artery disease (CAD) in 200 consecutive patients aged 35 years or less undergoing diagnostic coronary angiography. Patients and Methods: Findings in these 200 patients (≤ 35 years of age) were analyzed to find the extent and severity of CAD. The mean age was 31.69 (±3.76) years. Majority were males (94%) and from the Arab ethnicity (70.5%). Result: Smoking (71%) and history of premature CAD (27%) were the most frequent risk factors (RF). History of previous ST elevation myocardial infarction (MI) was present in 68%. Anterior wall MI was the most frequent location (63.3%). The majority (54.3%) had moderate or large size MI. Ejection fraction (EF) less than 50% was noted in 30.3%. Left main or triple vessel CAD was seen in 15%. One- and two-vessel CAD was seen in 32.5% and 19% patients, respectively. Coronary angiogram was completely normal in 23.5%. The majority (54.5%) were treated conservatively and the rest (45.5%) needed percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) or coronary artery bypass graft (CABG). The mean number of stents used was 1.3 ± 0.67 and the mean length of stents used was 20.3 ± 12.6 mm. Conclusion: The extent and severity of CAD was very significant in this subgroup of very young (≤35 years) Asian patients. Smoking was the main risk factor and half of the patients needed either PCI or CABG.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3884    
    Printed187    
    Emailed3    
    PDF Downloaded338    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 11    

Recommend this journal